Tuesday 1 April 2014

Swallows and surveillance



Living as we now do in the depths of rural France: in the words of Monty Python, we must ‘make our own entertainment’. Gone are the days when an enjoyable Saturday was spent brunching with jolly ex-pat chums and the other beautiful people at The Atlantis, Dubai or taking in a Broadway show!

 
The pinnacle of excitement this week was the early return of the migrating swallows to the village (see how creative we can be in the manufacture of entertainment when needs must). This followed record numbers of migrating cranes a few weeks ago, (can you stand all this entertainment?).



With such exciting tales to recount and a craving for social intercourse, I accosted one of my French friends outside the boulangerie. Hoping to impress, I explained the old English (I had assumed) saying ‘one swallow does not a summer make’.


As I stumbled over French tenses and genders, her features assumed an expression of disbelief. In the quest for a more favourable response, I embellished with a few more ‘old English’ summertime sayings; ‘ne’er cast a clout ‘till May is out’ and ‘if there’s enough blue sky to make a sailor’s trousers’, each to her abject bewilderment and mounting boredom.

When she was finally able to ‘get a word in edgewise’, she gently observed that she had learned the phrase ‘one swallow does not a summer make’ at school. Far from being an old English saying, she counselled, it was from the proverbs of Erasmus in the 16th century. The true meaning, she explained is that ‘single data points cannot be relied upon to extrapolate a trend’.

Seeing my disappointment at having so disastrously failed to entertain, she offered to show me ‘swallow-cam’ to cheer me up. We entered her terraced cottage whence a complex array of surveillance equipment beamed a bird’s eye view of the soon to be nesting sparrows from her outbuilding to her sitting room. I was both entertained and impressed and I told her so. ‘Yes but the “hirondelles” are only entertaining for a few weeks a year,’ she shrugged. ‘The rest of the time, I use it to spy on my neighbours. You can see and hear everything.’ Her eyes widened as she emphasised the word ‘everything’ with a single raised eyebrow.

I resolve to be more inventive when ‘making entertainment’ in future. I will need to if I am to impress my French friends and neighbours in future bouts of social intercourse.

 



Author page




1 comment:

  1. Dear delicious lady of Poumeroux or is Puma-rue or any other rue. So sad to have missed you outside the bakers as I would have understood your English weather jingles. Looking forward to the social event in the village which will be the 15th August. Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete