Wednesday 16 April 2014

Happy days in the shadow of the reformation



This week marked the return of Wonder Husband (WH) and me to ‘God’s own county’. For friends abroad, I’m talking about Yorkshire, in the North of England. For great friends in Scotland (you know who you are), Scotland is a country not a county; it is indeed God’s own however, I agree with you!

As is the wont of many embarking upon a phase of life somewhere wonderful, WH and I resolved to ‘do all the nice things tourists do when they are here’. We had actually resided in Yorkshire for twenty years before living abroad in recent times. Our children grew up with impressive Yorkshire accents and deep local knowledge. Like so many before us however, we went to work, the supermarket, the doctor/dentist/vet but never found the time to engage with the wonders on our doorstep; a tragedy in God’s own county!



 
 

Within days, we are reversing our wasteful ways! We spent the weekend (both days) in the glorious city of York. I can safely say, there is no city more beautiful (I really should have realised that at some point during the twenty years when we lived here before).


The Shambles and  Stonegate sucked us back into sixteenth century with cobbled streets, ghostly tales, the world’s best tea rooms and a little red devil. The street performers, especially the chap with the glass balls, held us transfixed to a (Yorkshire)man.



The Palm Sunday service in the Minster, parts of which (beneath the current building) date back to Roman times, was incredible. Slow off the mark, following a sumptuous feast of local Yorkshire fare on Saturday evening, I allowed WH to progress my nomination for ‘official seat-saver’. The rest of our party of fellow worshipers followed the choral Palm Sunday procession through the streets.

When the procession, headed by a real donkey arrived at the minster, the congregation descended en masse, in need of respite. A seat-saver was the very last person the returning pilgrims wished to encounter. I had unchristian thoughts about WH, who had sponsored me for the Sisyphean seat-saving task. I was as welcome in the minster as were the Parliamentarians in 1644 yet fortunate that (on this occasion), my adversaries had no instruments of torture to hand! 


Author site   https://www.facebook.com/clara.challoner.walker


No comments:

Post a Comment