Tuesday 29 October 2013

Singing in Saigon



In these days of corporate social responsibility, Superbrand has upped its game philanthropy-wise. Every year, an international team of ‘high performing’ executives are selected to fly somewhere remote and help the needy at Superbrand’s expense. A couple of years ago, high performers were clearly in short supply and I set off for Ho Chi Minh City (HCMC).

Along with five new friends from India, Canada, China and the US (they blagged two slots, presumably to account for some past differences with HCMC), I was to ‘solve local problems’. My allocated problem was traffic; a problem indeed in HCMC where mopeds outnumber cars about 50 to 1, public transportation is shambolic, fatal accidents are frequent and the rules of the road of no interest to anyone. 


The town hall - even more ornate inside

We trawled Superbrand’s (impressive) reservoir of resources, we worked with the army, university, police and civil servants, all of whom claimed to be our most important ally  in solving the problem (which was probably a large part of the problem).  After several weeks, data had been analysed, predictive models run, reports written and everyone understood what needed to be done. We presented our recommendations to the Deputy President (DP) and his entourage in the sumptuous surroundings of the HCMC town hall. Delighted with the outcome, the DP suggested an evening out for the six executives and his entourage to celebrate. 





I got you babe


The venue was selected, a private room hired and song-sheets were distributed. The Vietnamese take their Karaoke seriously! Eventually and under duress, I warbled my way through Roberta Flack’s ‘Killing me Softly’, without doing too much damage to Superbrand’s stock price, but drew the line at playing Cher to the DP’s Sonny, beating a retreat to the Ladies. I need not have worried as on my return the DP, complete with Cher-like wig and gazing longingly into his (male) secretary’s eyes, had just got to the bit about ‘I got you to hold me tight’.*



No comments:

Post a Comment